Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:38:45 -0600
From:      "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@eris.quintessential.com>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

"dangerously dedicated" *IS* a 165 FreeBSD slice, so called because you
can't share it with another operating system, and no, that was not the
problem. THIS was the problem ...

If you want to get 3.1-RELEASE or 3.1-STABLE (which is currently a link
back to 3.1-RELEASE), you MUST use the floppy disks for 3.1-RELEASE,
because the install program puts its own kernel loader on the hard disk,
regardless whether it is appropriate for the kernel it is installing. The
resultant error message is "invalid format!" if you use the wrong loader.
This also happens if you try to upgrade using /stand/systinstall on any
previous version of FreeBSD, including 3.0!

 - please see my lengthy post on the list for details.

BDW