Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 08:38:39 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, charon@freethought.org
Subject:   Re: mounting primary DOS partition

media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> At 1:21 PM -0700 5/6/99, charon@freethought.org wrote:

> >>That sounds like it's already mounted.
> >>
> >>Also I thought you had to absolute path the mountpoint (not 100% sure
> >>about this though):
> >>
> >>mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /mnt/DOS
>
> Apparently I mounted it when I installed FreeBSD.
>
> >No, the path doesn't have to be absolute (works the same way as other
> >commands - that's why I put in 'cd /mnt').
> >
> >The drive is mounted, though.  Do a 'df' to see the drives already mounted.
> > For example, when I type 'df' I see '/' as being device '/dev/wd0s3a'
> >which is what I'd expect, since I have FreeBSD installed on the third
> >partition on my drive.  If I then type 'mount /dev/wd0s3a whatever', it
> >gives me a 'Device busy' error because root is already mounted.
>
> Thanx!!  The df command showed that dev/wd0s1 is mounted on /1, so that's
> where  the mount point I chose during install went :)
>
> I tried:
> mv -i 1 DOS
>
> and got:
> mv: cannot rename a mount point

You can if you umount it first:

  umount /mnt/DOS

mount point dirs are just regular directoreis until they have
something mounted on them.

This sounds like it is being mounted at boot. If you rename /mnt/1 you
will probably get an error next time you boot. You'll need to edit
/etc/fstab to change the mountpoint from /mnt/1 to /mnt/DOS.

If you don't want it mounted automatically mounted at boot then add
``noauto'' to the ``rw'' option in /etc/fstab (note there are no
spaces before or after the comma):

/dev/wd0s1   /mnt/DOS    msdos   rw,noauto   0  0

HTH
> Even thought there are man pages for rename, trying to use rename says
> "Command not found."  So I'm stuck calling it /1 for now.

There's no such command as rename in Unix, you were correct with mv.