Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2022 14:05:11 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Johan Henselmans <johan@netsense.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone uboot: BeagleBone Green Gateway not defined in uboot?

On 2022-Oct-24, at 12:35, Johan Henselmans <johan@netsense.nl> wrote:

> I have tried to boot a Beaglebone Green Gateway via the current =
GenericSD.img.xz at =
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/arm/armv7/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/FreeBS=
D-13.0-RELEASE-arm-armv7-GENERICSD.img.xz

You list 13.0-RELEASE 's image instead of 13.1-RELEASE 's image:

=
http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/13.1/FreeBSD-13.1-=
RELEASE-arm-armv7-GENERICSD.img.xz

(I've no clue if it makes a difference.)

> The board booted, but it did not have anything functional in the sense =
of wland or ethernet.
>=20
> So I installed (after putting the SD-card in a BeagleBone Green, which =
was able to find an ethernet port and a working internet connection) the =
beaglebone uboot:
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> pkg install sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

pkg install sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone

only puts things in the likes of:

/usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-beaglebone/

/usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-beaglebone/ probably ended up
with a README or some such file name for the content shown
below.

# more /usr/ports/sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone/pkg-descr=20
U-Boot loader for BeagleBone and BeagleBone Black.

To install this bootloader, copy the files MLO and bb-uboot.img to the =
FAT
partition on an SD card or the eMMC.  Normally this is partition 1, but
different partitions can be set with U-Boot environment variables.

This version is patched so that:
 * API features are enabled.
 * A boot.scr (U-Boot scripts ) that loads ubldr.bin and execute it is =
included

For information about running FreeBSD on BeagleBone or BeagleBone Black, =
see
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BeagleBone

You were not explicit. Did you do as described with MLO
and bb-uboot.img ?

> That resulted in the message that there was no device tree:
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> ** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for loading the env **
> Board: BeagleBone Black
> <ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
> BeagleBone Black:
> Model: SeeedStudio BeagleBone Green Gateway:
> BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x54:
> BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x55:
> BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x56:
> BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x57:
> Net:   eth0: MII MODE
> cpsw, usb_ether
> Press SPACE to abort autoboot in 0 seconds
> board_name=3D[A335BNLT] ...
> board_rev=3D[GG1A] ...
> switch to partitions #0, OK
> mmc0 is current device
> SD/MMC found on device 0
> switch to partitions #0, OK
> mmc0 is current device
> Scanning mmc 0:1...
> Found EFI removable media binary efi/boot/bootarm.efi
> libfdt fdt_check_header(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC
>=20
> <snip>
> No valid device tree blob found!
> WARNING! Trying to fire up the kernel, but no device tree blob found!
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>=20
>=20
> How can I add a  device tree blob for the BeagleBone Green Gateway?
>=20

Note: I've no experience with any BeagleBone variant.
My comments are rather generic.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com