Date:      15 Aug 1997 00:07:17 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is slower than Linux !?

>> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:35:17 -0500 (CDT), "Jay D. Nelson"
>> <jdn@qiv.com> said:

    JDN> My point was simply that when you put both under a real life multiuser
    JDN> load, the differences are fairly obvious. And frankly, I wouldn't use
    JDN> async mounts for anything other than news.

Don't you make backups?

I use async for everything, and add noatime for /var/news.

I never had a corrupt filesystem in 2 years of using FreeBSD (I did
while using Linux b.t.w.).

If I have, I can restore my system in an hour.

It makes no sense to have less performance, just to lessen the chance
for a filesystem corruption that might happen once in a year, and that
can be restored in little time if you need to.

I think the default should be changed. Many users now have inferior
performance for no good reason.

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know