Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:12:30 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, FAQ@FreeBSD.ORG, perrot@francenet.fr
Subject:   Re: It would be great to mark FAQ modifications in it

On 16 Sep 98, at 16:48, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Gildas Perrot wrote:
>
> > I think it would be great to mark FAQ modifications in it as it is done in
> > http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/comp-sys-sun-faq.html :
>
> Yuck. :(  that's a lot of maintenance between revisions.  To boot the FAQ
> is generated from SGML sources every 12 hours or so, so the concept of
> 'issue' doesn't really apply.  The CVS tree handles it anyway.

As long as we are discussing FAQ improvements...

I'd really like to see both the FAQ and Handbook use a system like
the PHP 3.0 Annotated Manual (http://ca.php.net/manual/).  Their
system allows visitors to add their own notes to each section of the
manual.  Having the user notes available has made the current
version of the manual much more useful, as well as providing a lot
of great material for the official maintainers to merge in as
appropriate.  I believe that system would do wonders for the
completeness of the FreeBSD FAQ and Handbook.

Check it out!

Dave