Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 05:54:33 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPV6/KAME/protosw integration cleanup

>> >1/ removal of "control" argument from rip6_input and prepend control mbuf
>> >to chain AS IT WAS DESIGNED FOR. This makes rip6_input conform to the proto
>> >type for input. (I have not confirmed that the information in control
>> >is a valid mbuf but it is an mbuf pointer).
>>     i don't see any "control" argument in rip6_input in kame tree, as well
>>     as freebsd sys/netinet6/raw_ip6.c revision 1.12.  which revision
>>     are you looking at?
>Sorry, wrong function..  it was output....

	ok,

>here is the fix

	xx_output() has never been governed by protocol switch structure
	and therefore ther are numerous variations we see in the tree.
	i don't see your problem at all.

>>     i can partially buy this, but for *BSD code sharing, i do need a
>>     compromise here.  permit us to use varargs.
>no.

	are you the one who decide the rule here?

>it can be in the netbsd compatibility code.
>it's going away.

	more #ifdef = more bug, and kame/freebsd gets left behind.
	i really hate all the cosmetic differences *BSD has.  freebsd has more
	of it than anyone else.

>>     no you can't remove "proto" argument from the argument list.
>>     because of the way ipv6 extension header chain (and IPv4 AH/ESP
>>     header) is designed, proto argument has to be passed around, otherwise
>>     we can't know which protocol we are processing (think of raw ip header
>>     processing, like rip_input).
>I din't say remove..
>I said ADD.

	so are you proposing to compromise protocol-independent protosw
	for the sake of IP?  I guess your opinion is too IP centric...

itojun