Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 16:43:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Density codes for EXB-8505 tape drive

I just bought a reconditioned Exabyte EXB-8505 8mm tape drive.
Unfortunately, it didn't come with an Owner's Manual; and I'm
having some trouble identifying the appropriate density codes
to use with it.  The default appears to be 0x8c.  According to
the lights, that is a compressed format; and I would assume it
is the highest supported base density (5G).  But what are the
codes for uncompressed 5G, and both compressed and uncompressed
2.5G modes?

On a related note, what is the 'right' way to bind the supported
densities to the four tape modes at boot time?  (I would guess
it's just an 'mt' command for each ctl device, somewhere in the
rc files.  But I'm hoping that I'm overlooking some more elegant
hook provided for exactly this purpose...)

Thanks,
-Pat