Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2006 19:33:38 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        danny@cs.huji.ac.il, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcorder question

> > intro:
> > We rely heavely on am-utils (/usr/local is so mounted), and most
> > of our hosts are dataless/diskless. As usual, I try to keep the local
> > changes to minimum to smooth upgrades.
> >=20
> > 	/etc/rc.initdiskless
> > 	/etc/rc.d/amd
> > and
> > 	early_late_divider=3D"amd"
> >=20
> > problem:
> > i need to move abi to start after amd (/compat is in /usr/local/compat),
> > and im looking for a clean way to do this, without breaking too many thin=
> gs.
> >=20
> > any suggestions?
>
> This is tricky.  We've typically assumed that /usr/local is mounted by
> the time mountcritremote is done.  I think the right thing to do is the
> change things so that both abi and amd run between SERVERS and DAEMON
> and make abi explicitly depend on amd.  amd is already in the right
> place, but abi is currently a requirement for SERVERS which is almost
> certainly wrong.  In the unlikely event that a non-native server
> actually needs to start before DAEMON is should just depend on abi.
> Things that start before DAEMON should not expect a working environment
> unless they really try hard to get it.
>
> This may or may not be an issue for you, but I think we're going to
> want to consider to splitting ldconfig so we run it on the base before
> SERVERS and on other directories later on.

while experimenting i saw some, what looks to me, wierd things :-)
1- mountcritremote does nfs mounts, but is not dependant on nfsclient.
2- many requiere named, though i believe 'access to a nameserver' would
   be more appropiate, ie rpcbind
3- same goes for NIS/YP, applications need the maps, not necesarely
   a working ypserv.

I use Hesiod/DNS instead of NIS, so i removed amd's dep. on them,
and set BEFORE: SERVERS, removed rcpinfo's dep. on named

> As to a clean way of making this sort of changes locally, there isn't
> really one.

I agree, it usually takes me anout an hour to re-arrange things, but
would love to reduce it :-)

danny