Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:52:41 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD = Unix ???

>I've been trying to find a good, accurate, succinct definition of the
>relationship for some time.  I'm still working on it.  The best I can
>see at the moment is that BSD is one of the UNIX family, maybe a
>disowned son :-)

I think "member of the UNIX family" probably comes closest to describing the
situation.

And what an intertwined family it is, looking at Figures 1.1 and 1.2 (The
UNIX system family tree) from _The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System_.

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!