Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:12:17 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "make" the "world" a better place -- how?

Donald Burr wrote:

> I've got some questions about running "make world" that I haven't really
> found the answers for.
>
> 1.  How much disk space do I need to run "make world"?  (I assume that I
>     need this space in the same partition as the /usr/src stuff, plus some
>     room in the various /tmp directories to hold compiler output,
>     correct?)

You can save some of the space required in /tmp (and usually also some
time), by making make run gcc with the -pipe flag. You can also have the
objects go to a separate directory hierarchy.

> 2.  Is "make world" the only command I need to run?  (i.e. do I have to,
>     for example, run "make depend" before doing it, and/or "make install"
>     afterwards?)

No, but it may be necessary to run "make includes" before (see recent
threads, both in this list and in hackers). You may also want to remake
the kernel and install it, if you're using make world to upgrade your
version of FreeBSD.

> 3.  Will "make world" overwrite my configuration files (I have a lot of
>     them, like /etc/sendmail.cf, /etc/amd.map, /etc/rc.local, etc.)?  Need
>     I back them up before running it?

It shouldn't, but to be on the safe side, back it up. BTW, if you make
world with new sources that have changes in some files in /etc, you'll
have to merge /usr/src/etc and /etc yourself.

> 4.  Last, if I cannot or do not want to run a full "make world" for
>     various reasons (not enough disk space, etc.), can I make a "subset"
>     of "make world"?  For example, if I made changes to the C library
>     (libc), can I just rebuild and install that piece only?  Or if I make
>     changes to the "sendmail" command only?  IF so, what are the commands
>     to do this "sub-build"?

Sure, go to the relevant directory in the /usr/src hierarchy and do a
make and make install in that directory.

> Thanks for your help in answering these.
>
> Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
> WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
> Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
> Phone: (805) 564-1871    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.
Nadav