Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:31:36 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        andyp@cableinet.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading freeBSD

On Wed, Feb 11, 1998 at 10:41:38AM +0000, Andy Pendry wrote:
> What is the correct procedure for upgrading to the latest version of
> freeBSD?

Depends.

You could download the latest boot floppy and booting from that. One of
the menu options is 'Upgrade' to upgrade the version of FreeBSD on your
system.

Alternatively, if this is something you're planning on doing regularly,
if you're staying up with -current or -stable for example, then you should
read the handbook section "Staying 'x' with FreeBSD" (where 'x' is either
'stable' or 'current') which will explain how to download the source code
you need to your computer.

Then read

  http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

which explains what to do with those sources once you've got them.

> How can I best evaluate the benefits of upgrading?

Depends why you're upgrading.

If you want to improve performance then you should work out how to quantify
your current performance, and where possible bottlenecks are. Once you've
done this, a post to appropriate mailing list (which is almost certainly
-questions) outlining the performance you're seeing and the version of
FreeBSD you're using would be good. Then ask if anyone knows if the changes
and improvements in the latest version will affect the performance you're
seeing.

Keep in mind that you don't need to upgrade if the system is already
keeping up with the load you're putting on it. I know of a couple of
sites which run FreeBSD 2.0 for various things. The admins keep up with
the latest security advisories and make sure that the holes are fixed,
but apart from that they don't need to move to a new release of the OS.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
			     . . . and relax