Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:14:53 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Tourde <daniel.tourde@bredband.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We, poor Eurpoeans....

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 06:50:28PM +0200, Daniel Tourde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbye with FreeBSD. I have used RedHat Linux for several years
> now but I gave a try to FreeBSD lately and, so far, I am EXTREMELY happy
> and impressed by it.
> I have however a simple problem that leads to these very simple remarks:
>
> I am a European, this means that, by this side of the atlantic ocean,
> the paper format is named A4 and is 29.4 cm long and 21 cm large (1 inch
> = 2.54 cm).
> I would like to print the FreeBSD handbook (to begin with) and to read
> it comfortably at home. I looked on the FTP site and I found 4 main
> formats for the handbook:
> pdb
> rtf
> ps
> pdf
>
> I cannot open either the .pdb or the .rtf files with AbiWord. Word opens
> the .rtf file but somehow, all the figures have disappeared and to be
> honest, I don't really like Microsoft Word...
>
> The .ps and .pdf files are in the American letter format, not in A4 and
> here, in Europe, we do not have letter format paper....

I'm european too :)
When I want to print a ps/pdf/whatever file, I choose A4 paper in the
menu/properties of my ps/pdf viewers. The letter format is not a
problem.

> Here is my question:
> Wouldn't it be possible to have generated automatically (that is to say
> ready for download and print, for newbye like me...) the books in A4
> format?
> The available manuals are single-sided. At work I have access to a
> printer that can print in double side (with a more than 500 pages
> manual, this is a BIG advantage...), isn't it possible to also have
> manuals in single AND double-sided format? By double-side manual I am
> referring to manual with an extra-margin for the cover (different for
> odd and even pages and pages number on the left then on the right...)
>
> If this is not possible because of the size of the files on the FTP
> server, could you please leave a README files explaining how to
> regenerate the .ps and .pdf from the handbook source file and with the
> different possible options. As I said, I am a newbye and certainly not
> familiar with the secrets of DocBook...
>
> To sum up:
> Now there are available manuals in letter single-sided format (pdf, ps)
> Isn't it possible to put on the FTP site as well:
> letter double-sided
> A4 single-sided
> A4 double-sided (.pdf and .ps).
> I think this is just a matter of modifying slightly some scripts. I
> simply don't know yet where they are and how to modify them, otherwise I
> would have done it myself.
>
> If this becomes too many files, just a README file on the FTP website,
> summing up how to generate the .ps and .pdf according to the needs and
> wishes of anyone.
>

> I propose (but this is just a suggestion) that a margin of .75 inch for
> the A4 format to be used where 1 inch is used in letter format and 1
> inch where 1.25 inches is used in letter format. In double-side format,
> an extra margin (for the cover, odd, even, odd...) of 0.25 inch could be
> used.

For an obvious reason, it's not possible to provide all formats and all
custom versions of various formats. The letter format is the en_US
format standard, and en_US is the standard of the Project.

The following command, used in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/:

make TWO_SIDE=yes PAPERSIZE=A4 FORMAT=ps

will build all PostScript version of all en_US articles in a format
close from the one you want (of course you can replace FORMAT=ps with
FORMAT=pdf...)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

will give you more informations about docs building system.

> I have also an other question. I have installed FreeBSD at home and
> looked under /usr/share/doc/. There I found the books but so far, the
> only format I can read is the .txt format. Is there a package to install
> to get the manual sources and/or the .ps and .pdf manual as well?

The url I gave above could help you.

Also, an old FreeBSDZine article may help a bit:
http://www.blackend.org/zine/docs.html (be careful the cvsup packahe
installation is outdated).

Marc