Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2013 07:58:42 +0200
From:      Michiel Boland <boland37@xs4all.nl>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.2-RC1 sparc install via network problems

On 08/06/2013 03:53, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 07:36:40PM +0200, Michiel Boland wrote:
>> Hi. I have some problems installing 9.2-RC1 on sparc64 via the network
>>
>> I have a dhcp server, and an NFS server that exports the disc1 ISO.
>>
>> Relevant portions of dhcpd.conf:
>>
>>      filename "boot/loader";
>>      option root-path "<ip-address-of-nfs-server>:/cdrom";
>>
>> The boot/loader was copied from the install image. The tftpboot directory is
>> otherwise empty. (So no loader.conf etc.)
>
> Do you also have 'next-server' in there? I'm buffled how TFTPing
> the loader could work without one ...

There is a next-server line; it was in another location in the dhcpd.conf, so I
did not think to copy that, sorry.

[...]

> U10 are still supported, why should they have been dropped? :)
> In fact, the 9.2 images have been tested on a U10 before they were
> published. I also found an ISP 1040 card, which works just fine
> here.
> So this indeed could be a hardware problem causing a PCI access to
> fail, which typically causes very strange backtraces like the
> incomplete one above.

Ok. I'll take out the pci cards - let's see if I can get it to boot then.

> So far, that's expected as you seem to also have copied over the
> /etc/fstab from disc1.

Right. I thought I could take a shortcut by just mdconfig-ing the install image
and mounting and exporting that.

Cheers
Michiel