Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 23:32:04 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl to disable reboot

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:48:16PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20010521123044.H29180@csh.rit.edu> Jon Parise writes:
> : I thought it would be useful to have a sysctl for disabling the
> : keyboard reboot sequence.  This functionality is currently
> : available through the SC_DISABLE_REBOOT config option, but it's
> : convenient to have this capability available at runtime, too.
>
> How is this different than loading a keyboard map that doesn't have
> reboot/halt in them?

Any user who can log on at a vty can remap any key to reboot the
machine (try remapping "t" to reboot to annoy your firends ;-).
The sysctl can only be enabeled by root, so I think it would be
useful. A more useful sysctl might be one that prevented the
remapping of the keyboard unless you were root.

Last time this came up, someone shot down my argument on the grounds
that if you have access to the console you can reboot the machine
anyway. I'm not sure this holds water, 'cos having access to the
keyboard and monitor isn't the same as having access to the case/power
button/plug. However a second considered opinion here might be
useful.

	David.