Date:      30 Apr 1998 17:53:36 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        don@partsnow.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xscreensaver programs die?

Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com> writes:

> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>] On my development PC with X, I use
> fvwm on top of X as included with 2.2.5. It was a clean install, not
> an upgrade. A number of the xscreensaver 2.7 programs crash and leave
> an 'I died' message on the screen. I'm running S3V on a Number Nine
> 331 card, 1024x1280 at 8bpp. Is this peculiar to my setup, is it now
> fixed in 2.2.6 (haven't gotten that far!), or is there a known issue
> that needs to be addressed. It doesn't bother me except in that it's
> messy, and it doesn't impact the rest of my machine or lock anything
> up (Thank you, -core and XFree86!!!).  See the attachment for
> examples.

signal.h:#define        SIGFPE  8       /* floating point exception */

It is normal behavior.  The problem is that i think the FPE
thing--linux, e.g., ignores floating piont exceptions but freebsd does
not.  I haven't tried, but I think you should be able to write a
signal handler (like nohup) and wrap it around those 'hacks' to
protect them.  alternatively, you could (1) igore it (2) write to jwz
and persuade him that he really should ignore FPE's in the hacks he
includes (3) hack your kernel so it doesn't give sigfpe (4) well,
there's lots of stuff you coudl do, few of which are probably worth
the trouble.

I just use xearth -proj merc -pos random as my 'hack'.

Oh... yeah, you can look in /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreensaver
and remove those entries that cause sigfpes.  Maybe write to the port
maintainer and have him hack this file when it installs the ports the
same way.

--

Steve Farrell