Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 10:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        Wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

> Hi folks
>
> OK - through a conversation with Rod I have pretty much decided not
> to merge eBones with secure, as it is clear the two are separate.
>
> What I would like to do is remove the DES library (libdes.*) from
> eBones/des and put it in secure/lib/libdes, where I believe it belongs.

You don't state your reasons for believing this is where it belongs :-(.

And I know have another big problem with the code in there.. it is
GPL'ed and not in the gnu subdirectory :-(.  [Read copyright on fcrypt.c,
went and read eBones/docs.original/README :-(.

Also does this code come with eBones?  Should this could be maintained
on a vendor branch?

> Included in the new DES code that I have (and in the old BTW) is
> fcrypt.c, which is a faster (2-3 times) replacement for the DES-based
> crypt(3) we are currently using. I would like to include this fcrypt.c
> in libdes to reduce the number of libraries produced.

That would make libdes GPL'ed.  Sorry, I can't go for that...

> Secure telnet and other bits of code will benefit from this move/merge.

Makeing telnet and other bits of code GPL'ed :-(.

> What say you?

Stop the GPV (Gnu Public Virus or something like that) :-(