Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 10:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is nullfs broken in -current?

> The NFS locking is currently being worked on.  The last report I heard
> was that it was to the point of being able to take and ignore all
> requests, such that Sun machines wuit their bitching.  I've rolled
> some additional fixes for handle-to-open-file-instance conversion
> using a callback registration mechanism only when NFS is loaded.

That is not the locking that I am talking about.  I am talking about
the VOP_LOCK entry points (not related.)  The problem with implementing
VOP_LOCK properly is that nfs operations have to be locked differently
than ffs. (Otherwise nfs timeouts don't happen correctly, and other
evil things occur.)  I have a fix that practically eliminates the
concurrency problems in nfs.

> The getpage/putpage stuff doesn't seem to be a particularly profound
> change for anything but the page management, which is as it should be,
> considering the file system framework still wants to be able to share
> the majority of code between FreeBSD/NetBSD/Other systems.

The page management needs to be filtered by the other filesystem
layers.  For "leaf" type filesystems there is some default handling
in the vnode_pager.  REMEMBER, we have a *fully* merged VM/Buffer cache!!!
For layered filesystems, there needs to be
some special stuff.  (nullfs should share the VM objects with the underlying
filesystem for example.) Also we still have compatibility with the older
less effective clustering, and non-merged VM/Buffer cache filesystems.
For example, ext2fs was almost not a port, but
practically dropped right in.  I have a few more things to do to fix
it though (there is code missing to make certain VM operations work
correctly.)

John
dyson@root.com