Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:03:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VLAN experiences with FreeBSD?

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

> I would like to find out what kind of experiences people have had
> implementing VLANs in FreeBSD.  We're currently running some Red Hat Linux
> machines and have created VLANs on them but are considering moving this to
> FreeBSD.  The Linux machines will sometimes completely stop responding, and
> I mean nothing, no video, no keyboard, no network, no response at
> all.  These machines are all connected to various models of Cisco ethernet
> switches, all of which support 802.1q VLANs, but we use the machines for
> authenticating public users.  We believe that FreeBSD would provide a more
> stable environment but have no experience using/creating/managing 802.1q
> VLANs on FreeBSD.

I have a build machine at work that I run 802.1q with a 2924XL.  It works
_very_ well.  I have -stable on the machine, and I use it for GNOME build
testing.  I have NFS mounts, and I trunk quite a few VLANs to it.  I've
never had a traffic lockup problem.

Working at Cisco, I've also had the opportunity to test FreeBSD's 802.1q
with a 6506 as well as a 5505.  I have yet to encounter a show-stopping
problem.

Joe