Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 1995 22:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> > In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.950812132056.9552V-100000@penzance.econ.yale.edu> you write:
> > >
> > >	Now this would be neat but what will the output of df look like?
> > For a possible example, mount (via the net) wuarchive.wustl.edu:/archive
> > and do a df..  FreeBSD s one system that gets the output right :-)
> > (note that IRIX 4.x doesn't).
>
> Well, an NFS mount will always look the same no mater what the underlying
> disk on the host is:
>
> wuarchive.wustl.edu:/archive  45624379 44227469   940666    98%    /mnt

That was my point to whoever asked the question; however, 'df' on some
older OS's won't handle a 45gb filesystem right, even via nfs; try any
sys5 variant as it comes from USL.  (at least through V.4.0.4)  Apparently
this one is 5 9gb drives striped (note that SGI wouldn't handle a (local)
filesystem that big till 5.3; wuarchive is running ultrix).  FreeBSD's df
handles this right even in 1.1.5, even though 1.1.5 didn't support a
filesystem that big.

SGI does this right in IRIX 5.2 and 5.3 (V.4 based) but not 4.x.  (but didn't
support >8gb local filesystems till 5.3)  Look for negative used or avail
amounts :-) I'd demonstrate but I've replaced all my old V.4 gateway
systems with freebsd!!! (2 still on 1.1.5 and 3 now on 2.0.5R "or so")

-- Pete