Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 20:35:35 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootEasy? It ain't so easy for *me*!

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.970921201501.4716A-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu>, you wrote
:

>Booteasy problems can usually be traced to geometry problems...

Not in this case, I believe.

Having tried _several_ installs on one system, and then having put the
hard drive onto a totally different system and then re-doing the entire
partitioning & install entirely from scratch again, only to be confronted
onec again with the same damn frustrating problem, and then having finally
had the good sense to try some other things, I am now at last prepared to
offer a diagnosis of my own problem.

The bottom line is that on two entirely different x86 systems, the F1
function key seems to have been left in an entirely disfunctional state
immediately following an install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 and an immediately
following WARM reboot.

A cold reboot (power cycling the whole system) made the F1 key come back
to life, and I am now happily running FreeBSD.

QUESTION:  Were there some known problems with the 2.2.2 keyboard driver
leaving the keyboard (or at least the F1 key) in a dysfunctional state
at times?

The keyboards I have here are not exactly spring chickens anymore.  Is it
possible that there is some obscure issue which only arises with older
keyboards?  (Actually, my keyboards are not THAT old... but certainly
each is at least several years old now.)

P.S.  Both of the two keyboards where I have seen this problem are of the
traditional type (not PS/2) and both are also connected to their respective
systems via additional 10' keyboard extension coards (so that I can put
the systems in the closet, where they can make all the noise they want
without bothering me).

Is it possible that the length of these keyboard extension cables could be
contributing to the problem?  Or is my paranoid about cable length just
carrying over (improperly) from my personal misery sessions with various
SCSI chains?

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) demo: http://monkeys.com/cgi-bin/wpoison