Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:56:36 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CDIOREADAUDIO

Hi,

[ Not on -questions, please cc: replies to me, many thanks ]

I'm trying to read the audio tracks on some CDs so I can make my own MP3
files (so much more civilised to carry a few dozen songs on ZIP disk than
CD).

I've tried a couple of the 'rippers' in the ports collection. 'tosha'
produces .wav files with a lot of 'stuttering' in them (which doesn't
seem to be an artifact of the CD I'm using, since different tracks
from different CDs have the same problem.

'cdd' prints some opening info (a track listing, and so on) before
failing with

  CDIOREADAUDIO: Permission denied

which I don't see listed in cd(4). I'm not sure how this is a permissions
problem, since I'm trying this as root.

The permissions in /dev are

  brw-r-----  1 root  operator    6,   2 Jan 31  1998 /dev/cd0c
  crw-------  1 root  wheel      15, 0x20000000 Jan 31  1998 /dev/rcd0.ctl
  crw-r-----  1 root  operator   15,   2 Jan 31  1998 /dev/rcd0c

It's a SCSI CD drive, the appropriate lines from dmesg(8) are

  ncr0 <ncr 53c875 fast20 wide scsi> rev 3 int a irq 10 on pci0:12:0
  (ncr0:6:0): "TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-3801TA 0207" type 5 removable SCSI 2
  cd0(ncr0:6:0): CD-ROM
  cd0(ncr0:6:0): 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 8)

And this is on FreeBSD 2.2-stable, last "make world" was on Jan 30th.

Other CD operations (mounting filesystems, playing audio CDs through
the sound card, and so on) work with no problems, and no excessive
jitter.

A search through the mailing list archives hasn't shown up anyone with
the same problem, just recommendations to try 'tosha' or 'cdd', and
these no other messages with "CDIOREADAUDIO" according to the archives.

Any help appreciated.

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole