Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 03:29:17 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have crashed, won't travel

Greg Lehey wrote:

> You write:
>
>   After both crashes at least one filesystem was reported damaged.
>
> What was the message?

Ah, that message. Sorry, I didn't write it down. Hadn't decided yet to
*not* to re-install again, so why bother.

However I am quite new to FreeBSD, maybe these (boot) messages get stored
and kept for a few revisions like the maillog?

Also I hadn't realized expert help would be so readily available to
analyze such messages. Therefore I wasn't inquiring into that aspect
of the situation but as to what the effect of a thing like 'make world'
would be.

If it rebuilds all binaries then I can rest assure that all rebuild
binaries will be reasonably correct. Because barring very odd source
mutilations a corrupt source file will fail to compile. That would
leave the configuration files. But those are mostly textual and
corruption will normally result in complaints from the program that
needs it.

So to my thinking a 'make world' would provide a means to verify
the correctness of the system. What I am wondering now is how
correct my thinking is. Remember, I've never 'made world' <g>.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.