Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 1995 09:19:37 -0500
From:      William McVey - wam <wamcvey@fedex.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FTP data port restrictions

Paul Traina wrote:
>The basic idea here is that we leave 40000-44999 open, since no known
>sane services reside there (yeah, sure...) at the firewalls,  and can
>therefore button down everything else.
It's important for people to realize that allowing arbitrary
connections into your inside network even if they are destined for
these ranges is still not a safe thing to do.  The problem is that
although no *sane* services are running in this block of ports, we
still have the problem of RPC dynamic port allocation, so for as
far as we know nfsd or mountd could be running in this range.  The
feature of resticting port ranges may still be usefull for proxy
services (since you know you aren't running any rpc services on
your proxy host), but if a site's security depends on a screening
router, I'd hate for people to get the idea that these ports are
deemed "safe".

 -- William