Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:16:30 +0000
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        freebsd-gecko@freebsd.org, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Firefox 89, WebRender, KDE Plasma and XRender

On June 26, 2021 5:40:27 PM UTC, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail=2Ecom> =
wrote:
>Please
>
>Where about:support shows WebRender for compositing, is there any=20
>benefit to setting preferences such as the two below?
>
>gfx=2Ewebrender=2Eall true

You can set it to force WebRender on, even if the hardware probing and/or =
qualification failed=2E

If it already shows WebRender, Firefox has successfully gathered hardware =
info and decided that the GPU is good=2E So you don't strictly *need* to fo=
rce it=2E Just hope that the updates won't ever break the detection :)

>gfx=2Ewebrender=2Eenabled true

This one should not be touched=2E

>In compositor preferences for KDE Plasma, my rendering backend is XRender=
=2E

>(If I choose OpenGL 2=2E0 or 3=2E1, panels lose transparency=2E)
>
>Does XRender in any way negate the benefits of WebRender?

Nah, what's happening in your X compositor has nothing to do with what's g=
oing on inside Firefox=2E