Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:49:45 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, jkh@cdrom.com, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xi Graphics drops all FreeBSD products

> According to a message I received from Sales Administrator Cindy
> Miley of Xi Graphics this morning, Xi Graphics "no longer support[s]
> FreeBSD in our retail products."

I'm not as concerned by this as I would once have been since XiG's
work is also of increasingly little relevance to the community.  The
XFree86 project has made great strides in supporting the types of
graphics cards which were formerly entirely within XiG's purview and
the support of Precision Insight and MetroLink has also given them far
more development capacity than they used to have.

Frankly, I see Xi Graphics as something of a dinosaur.  They used to
have a purpose, but their increasingly hostile attitude towards the
XFree86 project (with whom they might have actually cooperated
instead) is entirely out of character with the open source movement
and if you want a commercial X server with (enthusiastic) FreeBSD
support, I suggest you check out the MetroLink product.  It may not be
entirely the equal of the XiG product right now, but they're working
hard on that and, unlike XiG, recognise the importance of working with
the open source community rather than treating it like a second-class
citizen, to be despised and feared (and anyone who doesn't think
that's an accurate characterization has never talked to XiG about
their views of the XFree86 project).

You may choose to continue to support a company which is actively
hostile to their open source brethren, but I find it increasingly
difficult to do so and have already stopped using their products
in favor of XFree86 on both my TNT and Voodoo3 cards (XiG, in fact,
doesn't even support the Riva TNT).  This is not a set-back, this
is a long-overdue adjustment.

- Jordan