Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:31:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, james@nexis.net, freebsd-ports@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: port of Majordomo v1.93

Greetings!

> > Yes.  I patched all of those to look for it in /usr/local/etc/majordomo.cf
> > (just like many of them needed to be patched for the correct location of
> > sendmail).  I guess this is personal preference... I like to keep /etc
> > pretty clean (if I put *everything* that was in /usr/local/etc into
> > /etc -- even just a symlink -- the resulting /etc would get quite
> > cluttered)
>
> Ys, an issue of personal pereference.  eAt some point one crosses the line
> between porting to FreeBSD and making a system configured the way they
> think it should be.  I might have already gone too far, but changing the
> hardcoded locations of files for convenience (as opposed to function, like
> sendmail) is going farther still (IMHO).

Granted.  Though I think you'll find *other* ports/packages have deliberately
moved things from /etc to /usr/local/etc ...

> > Heh heh heh... there's always one more!  ;-)  Luckily, my notes for 1.93
> > only take up 7 pages in my journal (the 1.92 notes were probably twice
> > that!)
>
> Yeah, it's certainly not the easiest beast to install, is it ?  Thankfully
> 1.94a has addressed many of those concerns, but it's still not stabe
> enough to port.  Maybe a beta or pre-release.

I didn't really find it that painful.  1.92 was tougher since I was
using Perl5.001 at the time and had to make the tweaks for that.  I
also had to tweak a few of the scripts to automatically adjust
file permissions so I could have digests, archives, etc. appear
under ~ftp nicely.  As with most things, if you read the directions
(carefully), you are rewarded!  :>

Almanac, on the other hand, is quite a different beast!  :-(

--don