Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 20:40:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        mgraffam@mhv.net
Cc:        Joshua Digiovanni <josh@geektech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and DEC Alpha

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 mgraffam@mhv.net wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Joshua Digiovanni wrote:
> > I've read the FAQ - it says that FreeBSD doesn't run on DEC Alpha yet. BUT
> > the reason I'm asking again is that I was talking to someone who claims
> > that his ISP set him up with a DEC Alpha running FreeBSD.
> >
> > Is this guy B.S.ing me or does FreeBSD now run on Alpha?
>
> FreeBSD does not run on Alpha hardware. End of story.

Not quite.  Currently there are people working on porting FreeBSD to the
Alpha platform, as well as to the sun4u platform.  Currently the Alpha
port is a bit further than the sun port.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/freebsd-alpha for more information about the
Alpha port, which is right now for true hackers only.

Linux: The Microsoft Windows(tm) of the Unix(tm) world.

- alex