Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 13:00:07 -0700
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@linuxcare.com>
To:        Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and suspend-to-disk

Ben Lovett wrote:

> I believe I saw Daniel O'Connor (doconnor@gsoft.com.au) write this:
> > Well.. under Windows the s2d functionality is provided by Windows itself using
> > ACPI..
> > FreeBSD doesn't do this yet (for lo it is very difficult) :(
> > There is apparently a way to get the BIOS to do suspend (Fn+A) to a seperate
> > partition, but I haven't got it to work :(
> >
> > I found the tools in question by looking here ->
> >
> > http://www.usmedia.nl/joel/inspiron.html
> >
> > I've got the A10 BIOS (so now I can suspend to ram and everything comes back
> > except USB [the mixer volumes are reset to 0 though]) but no suspend to disk :(
> > The BIOS always reports that there is no partition or it is incompatible with
> > this BIOS (depending on the method I try).
> >
> > If you have no luck finding the tool let me know any I'll send it to you.
>
> Just setup my partition, and I get a message saying that the BIOS can't
> find a compatible partition.. grrrrr
>
> Anyone else have some ideas?

Hello,

I've had to use the utility called Phdisk.exe are referred to here
at this old link (before the 8000's came out)
http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=TT1021633

If you need the utility email me off list and I'll send it to you, I
use it to rebuild the partitions on Dell's laptops, this utility
will create the 4th primary at the ass end of the drive and it will
make it "twice" the size of existing RAM, which is what it's
supposed to do. It needs to be done of course on a blank drive, what
was different for me though was the default DELL boxes running Linux
didn't have the partition placed at the end of the drive.

I had to do this for a customer had "doubled" his memory but the
"suspend-to-disk" partition just remained the original size of 256mb
(2x128mb ram) and now the customer had 256mb ram and needed 512 of
the (OS/2) "suspend-to-disk" partition.

I will cause you to "reverse" plan your partition table seeing at
the option for a 4th primary has been taken by this "and" it's at
the end of the drive.

--
Bill Schoolcraft	Linux/Unix System Engineer
650 Townsend Street	San Francisco, CA 94103