Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:54:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        mdgabriel@hotmail.com (Michael Gabriel)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stumped at install

Michael Gabriel wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> I have recently acquired a copy of Freebsd 2.26.  Only to be
> disappointed and frustrated with the install.  I have a cdrom and plenty
> of disk space.  When cued to alloted a certain amount of memory space
> (minimum being as yous mention 20M) I'm at a loss as to "set" the
> specifics.  (ie. / , swap/ var)  as required.  It seems a hassle and I
> don't want it to be so.  Can you help.
>
> Michael Gabriel

Assuming this is for general purpose use, and by lots of disk I mean
>1GB.

/	64 MB
/var	64 MB
swap	128 MB
/usr	what's left

you might want a separate partition for /tmp and /home
maybe 64MB for /tmp? then reduce /usr to 600MB and give /home the
rest. This will, I think, leave enough space in /usr for a fair
number of ports, and kernel and "world" sources and objects, and
for X.

Just taking the defaults works fairly well.

Dave
--
             Su accion letal comienza en pocas horas