Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        cracauer@cons.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   catpages

 * What are port maintainers supposed to do about the manpages in
 * ${PREFIX}/man/cat when the package is about to be removed?
 *
 * Two problems:
 * 1) I can't add it to PLIST, because it may not exist when the package
 *    is being deleted.
 * 2) Rather a man(1) problem, when my port installs a compressed manpage
 *    (MAN1 port Makefile variable) the file that ends up in cat/ is
 *    still foo.1.gz.
 *
 * What to do?

Don't worry about that.  It's not your fault that man creates a second
copy of the page.  We now have MAN[1-9LN] variables, so maybe we can
start start doing some intelligent handling of manpages (like,
modifying the PLIST accordingly, adding hooks to remove catpages).

By the way, what ports shouldn't do is to install a cat page only.
That makes it impossible to do a "find | rm" of old catpages....

Satoshi