Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:31:57 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, kientzle@netcom.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux async vs. FreeBSD sync (fwd)

Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com> wrote:
> Well, it depends.  If I want the app-defaults file to be found via the
> search path method, I will have to have a big path variable, or symlink
> the files.

Well...I thought of that right after I hit the "Send" button on my mailer...
I DID say "might" after all :-)).

> Same goes for include files and libraries (shared libraries definitely
> have to be symlinked because they need to be registered and I don't
> want to fiddle with /etc/rc every time I add a new library).

I work on too many types of systems...does FreeBSD have a way to compile a
default library directory into a binary? (is that what LD_PRELOAD is? or am I
confusing that with something else?) With SunOS 5.x (generic SysVR4?),
you can pass a '-R' option (similar to the '-L' option) that embeds the
directory name in the binary, so the runtime loader can locate it again in
the absence of an appropriate library along $LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime. I
forget what the exact order & precedence rules are between things, but that
ability would get rid of that need for normal "user runs a built binary" types
of installations.

It still doesn't help for installations of programmer libraries/header files
and so forth.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org