Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:18:39 -0500
From:      "Macy McMakin" <mmcmakin@widernet.org>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, <privacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Nonprofit Academic Permission Request           ::wpmc::10-17813

Dear FreeBSD Representative:

The WiderNet Project seeks your permission to distribute "FreeBSD
Handbook" published at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html to
people lacking Internet access via the eGranary Digital Library.

Please let us tell you about the WiderNet Project and the eGranary
Digital Library.

The WiderNet Project is non-profit service program in the School of
Library and Information Science at the University of Iowa that promotes
low-cost information and communication for underserved populations. You
can find more information about the WiderNet Project at...

 http://www.widernet.org/

The eGranary Digital Library, also known as "The Internet in a Box", is
an off-line information store that delivers over 30 million educational
resources to people living in underserved areas of the world. Many of
our subscriber institutions have no Internet access. Even those who have
an Internet connection experience slow, unreliable and very expensive
service. Often, teachers, students, and practitioners must pay per
minute while online and it literally takes days to search a Web site.
The eGranary Digital Library delivers digital information directly to
Web servers inside the institution, bypassing the problem. With the
eGranary Digital Library, thousands of people can access the information
over their local area networks quickly and at no cost.

The eGranary is already installed at over 500 universities, schools,
health care centers, and libraries worldwide. You can find more
information about the eGranary Digital Library, including a list of over
1,600 authors and organizations who have already donated materials,
at...

http://www.widernet.org/egranary

If you consent, your materials will appear in the eGranary Digital
Library without modification, retaining all citations, copyright
information, author information, and credits - exactly as they appear on
the Internet now.

Specifically, we would like permission to:

-- Mirror (copy) the following materials for future versions of the
eGranary Digital Library:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
-- Distribute the content you donate to participating educational
institutions via off-line storage devices.
-- Allow project participants to make your materials available to their
community via their local intranets (but not on the Internet).
-- Create an archive copy of your material on our password-protected
intranet server for use in the event that your publicly-available link
ceases to function.

Please reply directly to this email, and tell us if you give:

-- FULL PERMISSION (Donate requested materials and updates as they
become available).
-- PARTIAL PERMISSION (Donate only materials that you specify).
-- NO PERMISSION (Prefer not to participate at this time).

We hope that you will join our efforts to provide poor people around the
world with access to educational information and resources.

Sincerely,

Macy McMakin

Macy McMakin
Digital Librarian