Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:49:29 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Initial 4.7 RC1 report...

I've gotten it installed, and spent about an hour playing last night. There
is much more I want to do, which I'll probably get to over the weekend.
However, I figured I'd send out some preliminary data....

The install went pretty well. Without the package collection, picking the
X installation options obviously break at that the point.

There is an issue with one of the dependencies for the Linux 7.1 emulator not
building. I'll post a log once I verify it, but being a clean machine, it
shouldn't have had problems.

The ahc driver seems fairly stable, but seems to run slower than previous
versions. Again, this requires deeper inspection before I can claim its
anything real. I have some Seagate 10,000 RPM drives an LVD 80MB/s bus,
and I've managed so far to _max_ the drives out at 3MB/s. Sustained was
around 0.8-1.0 MB/s. However, these numbers come from performing 'typical'
user tasks that anything trying to really isolate or stress the drives (or even
be efficient).

Overall, however, it seems pretty solid for the time spent on it. Usually
I find a couple of gotchas by now. The only thing I'd really like to see is
Linux Redhat 7.3 being brought in to the emulator, so I can try to run a
Lotus Dominio server on it :)

	-Brian