Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:57:29 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: probles w/latest 2940U code

>Hi Justin,
>
>I'm having trouble with the 1/29 files.  The previous commits worked
>pretty good (a few anomolies, but the best so far).  With the 1/29
>versions, I get some kernel panics:

>2.2-BETA kernel with 1/29/97 updates:
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>swap_pager:  I/O error - pagein failed; blkno 57792, szie 20480, error 5
>vm_fault:  page input (probably hardware) error, PID 13075 failure
>sd0(ahc0:0:0) ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e0 overlapped commands attempted, retries 4
>Panic:  ahc0:  Timed-out command times out again
>syncing disks....

I fixed this one (along with 4 or so other error recovery bugs) last night.
This was after a recovery attempt for a timeout correct?  Dumb mistake on my
part.  I'm doing some more testing today and will update the driver again
tonight.

>I'm also having a problem in that my usual probing is:
>
>(ahc0:6:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
>(ahc0:6:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
>(ahc0:6:0): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
>uk0(ahc0:6:0): Unknown
>(ahc0:6:1): parity error during Data-In phase.
>(ahc0:6:1): parity error during Data-In phase.
>(ahc0:6:1): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
>uk1(ahc0:6:1): Unknown
>..snip..
>
>The BIOS display of the AHA-2940U on boot up shows correct vendor strings
>for all four SCSI devices.  Note that previous to 2.2-Beta, my cdrom
>drive answered for all 8 LUNs.  With the Archive tape drive, and the 1/29
>files, I will get a panic every time, with the previous set of commits,
>I get the kernel probes shown.

The BIOS may have parity disabled during its initial bus scan.  Can you try
this again with the parity disabled in SCSI-Select (I believe that the driver
honors that, but I'll have to check)?  Did this work okay in previous versions
of the driver?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations