Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:01:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Alpha <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PC164SX/booting the floppy

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I want to do a floppy disk/nfs install (using my 10BaseT ethernet card
> > and my second machine rigth next to it with the latest snap loaded),
> > but I've never seen the screen I'm looking at before, which is a GUI
> > representation with many different options.  There isn't, as far as I
> > can see, any command line I can tell it to boot a kernel from.
> >
> > I was able to use the GUI to select the SRM console (that much was easy)
> > but I don't know what to do now, and the INSTALL.TXT isn't any help on
> > this.
> >
> > Does anyone who has a PC164 know what I mean, and know what I should do
> > to get this thing booted?
>
> 'boot dva0'

Mike, there isn't any command prompt to issue this at!  I have a nice
GUI, what do I do with it?  Where's the missing command line?

Fie on anyone who makes a computer boot into a GUI.

> --
> \\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |