Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:01:28 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Karen Donathan <donathan@gwhs.kana.k12.wv.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup question

Karen Donathan wrote:

>Hello.
>
>     What is the best way to back up the html directory?  We do not have a
>tape drive.

There are many.  Keep watching the list and some might show up.

>Is there a way to have an automated .tar file created and
>sent as email so I could save it on another server?  Any help would be
>great!
>
>Thanks
>Karen Donathan
>George Washington High School
>Charleston, WV

There are lots of ways, I'm sure, although, like I said, this strategy
might not be the best option --- I'm no expert.  OTOH, if it works ...

Hmm, something like this in cron?  You'd need to get acquainted
with shar(1), that old sneaky archiving process....

tar -R mydir -cf mydir.tar && shar mydir.tar > mydir.tar.shar && mail
me@somehost < mydir.tar.shar

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.