Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:56:27 -0400
From:      Chang Song <song@zk3.dec.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Features of a journaled file system

Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Don:
> > Should the file system use b-trees? What other technologies should such a
>
> B-trees would help a lot in some cases. UFS performance has always been
> abyssimal with large directories...

I think B+ tree is too complex to maintain and implement.
Extendible hashing (GFS uses it) is great compromise. Easier to implement
yet competitive or sometime faster than B+ tree.

--

   Chang Song (chang-hyeon.song@digital.com)        Work:  (603) 884-0799
   Compaq Computer Corp.,ZKO3-3/U14                 Home:  (603) 437-5088