Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:49:42 +0100
From:      Tomas Reilly <thomas.reilly@nuigalway.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   data recovery?

There was a power surge and i came in to find the computer hanging!
after booting into single user mode and running fsck, i had to fix
loads of files, reconnect etc and clear unknown files types!
I have lost /usr which contains all my important files etc
Now all i am left with is /usr  and a lost+found directory which
contains thousands of files prefixed with a # eg #691843 (last file)
I haven't even got the basic tools to look at the files, like the
command more for example!
I tried installing less from the cdrom but the system just rebooted!
I think i've got a major hard-disk problem!
What i want to know is there any way i can recover some very important
files i had
in /usr or is there any way to recover all /usr??
The other file systems like /,  /var are undamaged! It is only /usr that
got corrupted!

Filesystem   512K-blocks      Used        Avail   Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd1s1a            63550     50670        7796     87%       /
/dev/wd1s1f         5723228 1954348  3311022     37%       /usr
/dev/wd1s1e            59454     11304      43394     21%       /var
procfs                              8             8              0
100%      /proc

Any help would be greatly appreciated!