Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:30:05 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make(1) enhancement - an 'environment processor' option

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 10:26:00PM +0000, Mark Valentine wrote:
> > From: roam@ringlet.net (Peter Pentchev)
> > Date: Sun 6 Jan, 2002
> > Subject: Re: make(1) enhancement - an 'environment processor' option
>
> > No feedback on this proposed change to make(1)? :)
>
> It looks like it should be easy enough to provide this functionality in
> the build system (e.g. bsd.port.mk).

But would it really?  I had this idea initially, before I wrote penv(1)
as a standalone preprocessor, and believe me, I tried - but it quickly
got ugly, when things came to trusting or checking the output of a program
to determine which variables should be unset and which ones should be set,
including setting variables to values containing whitespace :)

> Can you suggest any other uses for this feature besides supporting penv(1)?

Not for the moment, no; but supporting penv(1) is nice, and it may be
used outside of the ports tree, too.

> make(1) already contains too many hacks for the FreeBSD build system.

This particular change should be easy to add to GNU make, too; this is
on my to-do list for the next couple of days.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.