Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:12:44 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@issci.ca>
To:        Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Objective-C threads

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 09:47:02PM -0600, Loren James Rittle wrote:

> Use thr-objc not thr-posix.  thr-objc maps to the gcc generic thread
> abstration layer and is better supported these days.  It will also
> correctly disable overhead related to threading when a program is
> single-threaded using weak symbols.  thr-posix doesn't do that...

I've been trying to get it to work with weak symbols, but have not had
any luck yet.  I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something simple, but
if you have a working config for FreeBSD I'd love to see it.

The current situation doesn't seem optimal, ie. requiring -pthread for
none threaded programs.  There is also the issue of config.h.in, which
needs to become config.h.  This shouldn't be a big deal, I'm just not
sure what the prefered method is (just repo copy it?).

--
Chad David        davidc@issci.ca
www.FreeBSD.org   davidc@freebsd.org