Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:47:09 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "FBSDQ" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Patrick Seal" <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Subject:   Re: Modems

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:04:39 -0500, Patrick Seal wrote:

>As far as I understand, Almost all external modems should work with
>FreeBSD.  On ebay I found a bunch of modems with voice, mailbox,
>speakerphone, crap built in that were cheaper than the normal plain
>external modems. Will the *modem* part work with FreeBSD if I buy one
>of the bloated modems?

No one can say without having direct experience with the particular
model... Try it and find out ;o)
You may run in to firmware problems, i.e., it may not connect at the
highest rates possible or with some other modems.
Only one way to know for sure...

>What brand/model are most people satisfied
>with?  What are people's experiences with 3com/USRobotics modems?

I have been using USRs for many, many years.  I currently have a DSVD
33K (Sportster Vi, internal) and a Sportster 56K internal (firmware
upgraded to V.90 standard).  I prefer external modems, but I bought
each of these when cash was really, really tight.

I have two ISPs because I'm a computer dude, and I use the Internet to
get support.  One of my ISPs has an all USR digital network (USR
TotalControl).  So if I run into any problems, USR/3Com won't be able
to blame anyone else.  But I bought my 56K only six months after they
were *born* and I've been very, very satisfied.

I generally avoid the *lower* cost modems that don't even have a name
emblazoned on them.  If they won't put their name on it, why should I
place my *trust* in it??  I want to buy products from companies that
have taken the time to establish a name for themselves and have
something to lose if they screw me with a pig-in-a-poke!!

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.