Date:      20 Jan 1997 05:05:13 -0000
From:      "malarraj malarraj" <smraj@hotmail.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem in connecting a machine in network

> [...]
>
>If you have an Ethernet card recognized by one of the drivers, you will
>get back something like:
>
>vvv---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>de0 <Digital DC21040 Ethernet> rev 35 int a irq 11 on pci0:6
>de0: DC21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3 Ethernet address 00:80:48:e8:1b:b1
>^^^---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>^^^ this will be different depending on your ethernet interface
>
>Type:
>
>ifconfig -a
>
>This should list all the configured ethernet interfaces in your
>machine, for example:
>
>vvv---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>lp0: flags=810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
>de0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>inet 198.0.250.211 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 198.0.250.255
>tun0: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500
>sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
>lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>^^^---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>lp0 = parallel port (ignore)
>tun0 = tunnel device (ignore)
>sl0 = SLIP device (ignore)
>
>lo0 = loopback (important)
>de0 = ethernet card driver from dmesg (important)
>
>Look in /etc/sysconfig; you will see a section dimilar to this:
>
>vvv---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>#
># Set to the list of network devices on this host.  You must have an
># ifconfig_${network_interface} line for each interface listed here.
># for example:
>#
>#network_interfaces="ed0 sl0 lo0"
>#ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
>#ifconfig_sl0="inet 10.0.1.0 netmask 0xffffff00"
>#
>network_interfaces="de0 lo0"
>ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
>ifconfig_de0="inet 198.0.250.211 netmask 0xffffff00"
>^^^---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Most likely, your "network_interfaces" line is incorrect, and does not
>have the right interface name on it.
>
>If you do not have an ethernet device in dmesg, then either there is not
>a driver for your card, or (more likely) your card is not configured
>correctly.
>
>If the card is there, and you list the full dmesg instead of grepping
>it, you may find that your card has an interrupt or address range
>conflict with some other card, and isn't being probed.  You should
>reconfigure the card (change jumpers, or run a setup program) and
>then try again.
>

>Regards,
>Terry Lambert
>terry@lambert.org
>---
>Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present

We have executed
  dmesg |grep -i ether

No output came for this command because,while booting
we are getting the following messages for our
ethernet card related information.(There is no word "ether")

"ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 5 on isa
 ed0:address 00:80:29:67:43:ec type NE2000 (16 bit)

    .
    .
    .

 ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface
 ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface
 lo0: flags: 8049 <UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
               inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
 writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
 add net default: gateway 202.229.220.1: Network is unreachable"

 While reinstalling FreeBSD 2.1.5 (This is the fourth time we are  doing it),
in "Networking" and "Interface" option
 it shows

   "ed1 WD/SMC 80XX ; NOVELL NE1000/2000 ; 3COM 3C503 cards"

   as one of the various communication item.We selected this
   and set the gateway address (202.229.220.1),domain name
   (tanaka-tec.co.jp), IP address for FreeBSD machine
   (202.229.220.229) & netmask (255.255.255.0).So we have
   no doubt that there is a driver available for our card
   (NE2000 plus from microdyne).

After booting we execute ifconfig -a and the output is

ed0: flags=8822 <BROADCAST,NOTRAILS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
     ether 00:80:29:67:43:ec
lo0: flags=8049 <UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
     inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
lp0: flags=8810 <POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010 <POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
tun0: flags=8010 <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

If we execute
"ifconfig ed0 202.229.220.229 netmask 255.255.255.0"
(because we didn't include it in /etc/rc file)
we get

   "Jan 20 11:16:12 apt /kernal: ed0: device time out"

This message is coming three times.apt is the machine name.

 If we execute "ifconfig -a" once again

 ed0: flags=8863 <UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        mtu 1500
      inet 202.229.220.229 netmask 0xffffff00 brodcast 202.229.220.255
        ether 00:80:29:67:43:ec
 all the other lo0,lp0,sl0,tun0 are same.

 If we ping 202.229.220.229 there is no packet loss.

 If we ping to any other machine we are getting same "device timeout"
 error thrice and after that "Host is Down" message is coming.

 And also at random time it is printing
         "apt last message repeated 5 times" thrice.
  We have the feeling that the driver is getting loaded properly.
 (Because it can be able to read the ethernet address and internal
  ping is working perfectly)
 There is no I/O conflicts or IRQ conflicts.We have checked it
 while booting (boot -c "visual" option shows there is no conflicts)

 We were trying to find out what is that SIOCGIFFLAGS. It is in
 /usr/include/sys/sockio.h. This says "get ifnet flags".

 Can you get some idea about the problem?. We are breaking our
 heads for the past one week (We have to fix it in two days
 because of tight project schedule). If you have time please
 look into this problem also. Thank You Very Much for your
 immediate respond for our first mail. Sorry for disturbing
 you once again

         With Regards,
 Tanaka Tech Labo Development Group
 Japan