Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:36:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Check your bovine stats for yourself...

Thanks to some discussion on these lists, I started up processing
the rc5 clients on all of my machines and some of my clients
machines.  I redirected the output to a file so I could keep up
with how I was doing for myself.

Well, after a few days, I started to notice a real discrepency
between *my* count of blocks and the count they were saying I had
-- like greater than 50% off.  When my counts showed me over
1,600 blocks, their records said just over 700.

When I pointed this error out to them, I got a message back that
said it was a known problem with their proxy connection but that
all of the blocks were being received.  I don't understand how a
proxy connection can screw up my stats, but that's the
explaination I was given.  Especially since all of my processes
are using the same .ini file (via symlinks and/or mirror).

For me this isn't an issue.  I'll never be enough of a
contributor to make a real difference in the big scheme of
things.  If I win, of course, that's great, but the chances are
veeeerrrrryyyyyyyyyyy small.

But some of the discussion I read concerned where you were in the
rankings and such.  Basically, if what I was told is correct, the
stats they have are asu (all screwed up), along with all of the
associated rankings, etc.

I also asked how I would be notified when someone get's the
answer, and was told that no notification would come.  Somewhat
anticlimatic.

Anyway, I'd start checking your output stats against their stats
to see how you are *really* doing...

Lee