Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 00:49:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iostat and msps

> > >OK, if we can't calculate msps on new disk's, what is the reason for
>
> Tools I don't have under FreeBSD but would like  :-)
> slowaris% iostat -x 30
>                                  extended disk statistics
> disk      r/s  w/s   Kr/s   Kw/s wait actv  svc_t  %w  %b
> fd0       0.0  0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0   0   0
> sd0      11.8  1.2   60.0    6.5  0.0  0.3   28.2   1  29
> sd1       6.0  1.9   21.5    7.3  0.0  0.2   26.7   0  14
> sd12     44.0 15.9  313.9  102.5  1.1  4.3   90.2   3  75
> sd2      10.8  4.6   36.7   15.9  0.0  0.5   34.9   0  24
> sd3       3.0  1.5   16.4   10.5  0.1  0.1   57.9   1  10
> sd7       0.3  0.4    1.6    1.8  0.0  0.0   27.8   0   2
>
> This is a fairly useful display - "wait" is the avg number of transactions
> waiting for service, "actv" is the avg # of transactions actively being
> serviced, svc_t is the average service time in ms, %w is the percent of time
> that there are transactions waiting for service, and %b is the percent of
> time the disk is busy (both derived from wait/actv).
>
> It clearly shows that sd12 is in some pain....

OK, I have to admit that this was what I was intrested in the first place :-).
Would anybody care if to include souch an parameter to FreeBSD if I made an
implementation?
I guess there should have to be some changes in the devicedrivers to support
svc_t but I don't think they should be to hard to implement.
I have been trying to upgrade to  FreeBSD-current today, and than I recognized
that there where a number defined in the sysctl MIB for diskstats, and I guess
that where I will try to access the diskstats.

> > >So, I have checked, the only system binaries that uses the dk_xxx
> > >variables from /dev/kmem is systat and iostat and I guess that it
> > >should be possible to fix them if they break :-)...
> >
> > I think Joe Greco fixed some things here.
>
> I raised DK_NDRIVE (on my local system) and then fixed a bunch of
> formatting type issues that arose from 4-character device names in
> systat and iostat, etc....  might hold us for another half a decade
> :-)  I do NOT know whether or not these changes were merged into
> -current as I don't have any boxes running -current currently.
>
> There was one problem I didn't track down relating to the numbers mode of
> systat -io and unusually sized xterms.  My changes were sufficient for a
> moderately sized system.

Sounds good.

> > >Is it possible that an dynamic implementation of thous statistics could
> > >be intergrated into FreeBSD-current?
> >
> > Someone has to do the work.  It would be nice if every driver didn't
> > have to know how to manage the statistics.  They could call (inline)
> > functions but the placement of the calls is driver-dependent.
>
> Always the problem... somebody's gotta do the work  :-)  :-)

And I would love to give it a try, if this is something that more people
than I think whould be an improvment of FreeBSD.

> ... Joe

/Mattias