Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:53:47 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "Roland Giesler" <roland@thegreentree.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obtaining the full 4 CDs?

On 2003.11.15 21:15:10 +0200, "Roland Giesler" <roland@thegreentree.org>
wrote:

> Maybe someone can explain how to actually use the three additional
> CD's in the set, since I've installed FreeBSD a number of times now,
> with the full ports collection and quite a number of the other
> distributions, but I've never needed the extra CD's?  I alos don't
> find anything in the manuals re this or maybe I'm using the wrong
> terms in my search?

Disc 2 is bootable and contains a live filesystem--a copy of the base
distribution.  In sysinstall, choose FixIt, and you'll get a dialog with
four options, the CDROM/DVD option lets you mount the disc and use the
programs on it.  This gets you access to fdisk, fsck, disklabel, and all
the file manipulation tools you typically need repair a system.  This is
useful for stuff like removing a forgotten root password when you've set
the console to insecure, using fdisk to examine and fix a system disk
that won't boot, or locate that backup copy of the GENERIC kernel so
you can boot the machine to single user, fix your broken custom kernel
config and rebuild.

The remaining space on disc 2 and all of discs 3 and 4 contain
additional packages.  You can use sysinstall to install them after the
initial install by running sysinstall again, choose Configure, Packages,
CD/DVD.  You can also use pkg_add.  A lot of work has gone into
determining the set of packages people are most likely to want to
install initially, so most of what you'd want from packages is on disc
1.  The only package I've found missing from disc 1 is the non-X build
of cvsup, cvsup-without-gui.

The packages contain fully-compiled programs, not source code, and
are specific to the version of FreeBSD on the CDs.  It's possible for
them to work on other versions, but it's a Really Bad Idea to do so.
The version-specific nature of packages includes the security branches.
For example, a package for 4.8-RELEASE isn't safe even for use on
4.8-RELEASE-p1.

Hope this helps.