Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:56:05 -0500
From:      Ray Kohler <rkohler1@cox.rr.com>
To:        m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>, Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some questions about ipfw

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 09:52 pm, m p wrote:
> Scott Nolde wrote:
> > This is a normal response after instituting the rules you've
> > set forth.
>
> I can not see why the packets should be denied. IF there were
> other packets send back to him he should see them too denied in
> the logs. But he is not seeing them.
>
> "setup" and "established" can be bypassed with hand crafted
> packets which have the SYN and ACK bit set. That is the behaviour
> for any stateless firewall. With "keep-state" only packets are
> allowed that matches a rule created by his machine at connection
> start time.
>
> It is considered "more secure" to use "keep-state" _correctly_.
>
> For testing can you, Ray, please test some rules with "setup" and
> "established" _only_ to see if it helps to use "setup" and
> established ?
>
> Your ruleset looks okay for me.

Doing the TCP with "established" and "setup" rules seems to improve
behavior, but then I'm beginning to think that there was network
trouble upstream at that point anyway and that's why things were
showing up so late.

I'm considering just going back to IPF at this point; I had it
working before and it just seems a little "smarter" than IPFW.

--
Ray Kohler
Schnuffel, n.: