Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2004 07:37:22 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        messmate <messmate@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions-en <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: parts of ports

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:21:25PM +0200, messmate wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:54:10 +0900
> Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net> wrote:
>=20
> >
> >On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:55:35 +0200

> >> Yes. tar -zxvf ports.tar.gz path/to/port/you/want/to/install

> >> That's how I did it. See to it that you have Mk, Templates and such=20
> >> directorys in your /usr/ports dir.

> Why is it so insecure have the ports installed ?
> When downloading (cvs) i presume ?

In general it's not particularly insecure to have the ports tree, or
bits of it, installed.  However the OP was talking about building a
highly secure firewall type system.  The idea is to avoid giving an
attacker a really handy way of installing any extra software they
might want.  Not that is makes a huge amount of difference, as when an
attacker has achieved that degree of control over the machine,
basically all is already lost. Presumably they'll just upload whatever
packages they want.

In the end, it's a matter of personal preference and the availability
of disk space whether you install the ports or not.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way