Date:      Thu, 26 May 2011 10:08:59 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jail@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ambrisko@ambrisko.com
Subject:   Fwd: X11 in a jail (was: Re: NFS mount inside jail fails)

Ooops, s/jails@/jail@/ ...

Quoting Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com> (from Wed, 25 May 2011
09:42:20 -0700 (PDT)):

CCing jails@

> Alexander Leidinger writes:
> | Quoting Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com> (from Thu, 19 May 2011
> | 14:38:40 -0700 (PDT)):

> | > |
> | > |

> | > Nope, didn't know about it when I played with it.  I should try it.
> | > I added
> | > 	case PRIV_IO:
> | > 		return (0);
> | >
> | > to kern_jail.c to get X to work.  This was with the Intel graphics.
> | > The main problem I have now is on resume the X server dies and restarts.
> | > I use xdm.  Without jail with vimage then it works okay.
> |
> | I use it without vimage in a jail. This is with a radeon card
> | (corresponding kernel module loaded at boot to get 2D acceleration, as
> | the X server obviously can not load modules in a jail).
> |
> | > My laptop can use either Intel or ATI graphics.  I just switched it to
> | > ATI to see what happens.  I should try some more tests.  It seems
> | > my BIOS likes to reset this setting and enable both :-(
> | >
> | > I don't seem to have panics.  This is with a month or so old -current.
> |
> | You do not allow access to the dri device, so I do not expect a panic.
> | If you give access to the dri device (which can be enabled separately
> | in my patch), I would not be surprised to see a panic (the last time I
> | tried it is a year or two ago, I didn't take the time to investigate
> | why it panics).
>
> Okay, I have an update.  With Intel graphics and using dri things
> work better and I don't get panics.  I load drm.ko & i915.ko before

Just to make sure we talk about the same things:
Did you configure the X server to use 3D (dri and glx in the modules
section, dri section in the X11 config, dri device visible in devfs)?
xdriinfo shows some valid hardware acceleration?

If yes, I definitively have to test the 3D part again with my radeon
(with a normal jail and with a vimage jail in case the normal jail
fails).

> starting the vimage jail.  X sees it and uses it.  This solves the
> suspend/resume issue I had.  The dri issue also prevented suspend and
> resume fail to work in a chroot.
>
> I have not tried switching to using the ATI option.  On a plus side
> my laptop is running cooler and faster now.

If you didn't had loaded i915.ko before, you have at least 2D accel
now, and probably the power management of the chip got activated too.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Hope that the day after you die is a nice day.

Since we cannot hope for order, let us withdraw with style from the chaos.
		-- Tom Stoppard