Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:00:38 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installer

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 06:45:57PM -0800, Jason DiCioccio wrote:
> Ah, then I stand corrected :).. Surprised they install lynx by default
> though..

Yes because otherwise ppl will complain that they cannot read the FAQ and
many docs that are in HTML. In fact, this is one of the few regular
complaints I get from people installing FreeBSD for the first time. Just
imagine, your install went through flawlessly, you were too afraid to touch
too many options during it, now you have rebooted, and there you go... but
what to do now. In OpenBSD there is at least an afterboot(8) man page that
comes up right at first start. We don't have anything like it. Then you
hear: read the Handbook. And you discover, that you cannot because it is
HTML. Grand feeling, eh? We somehow seem to think that a person installing
FreeBSD either has access to a second machine with Net connection to read
up if need be (not common) or has already printed/learned by heart all the
important docs from www.freebsd.org. This, of course is only a problem on
your first install and only if you do not have the "Xmas Special Edition"
box, where a hacker is also included packaged up fine in plastic and
mistletoe. (Was not very popular because the box was too huge and heavy to
fit into public transport in Europe.)

Sure, minimalists will claim that there should
not be any important docs in HTML but just man pages.

Anyways, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with security, so it
should end. There is no OS today that comes below 200megs in a default
install (DOS is not an OS by today's standards.)
--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University