Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:39:42 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Alik Yuswanto <alik@sby.globalinfo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running Squid as root

Squid offers a service (usually on an unprivileged TCP port, e.g. 8080) to the
masses, and it's quite big (and hence probably has bugs - which may or may not
be known or exploitable).

There's a lot less damage going to be done if someone manages to exploit it -
and it's running as 'squid', rather than if it was running as 'root'.

(Imagine they pursuade it to write your /etc/rc.conf file or something? - if
it's running as 'squid' the write will fail, if it's running as 'root' - it
may succeeded).

In short, I always try to run it as 'squid' or some other low-level access
user... I see it as good practice... Others may disagree I guess...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz